I have seen stacked pumpkins on Pinterest and wanted to do something like that this year. I don't have a big front porch so I needed to incorporate it into my garden space in the front yard. Last weekend, Eliza and I went to a pumpkin patch with some other families. It was a low profile, pick your own patch. You payed based on the honor system, it's nice to know that there are still trusting souls out there!!
The kids and parents had a blast finding the best ones in the patch. The sizes, shapes, and colors were so varied. We got a couple little ones that Eliza found and then I got two larger ones. We went to a nearby greenhouse to look for mums and white pumpkins. Here's Eliza surrounded by pumpkins sporting her Volunteers t- shirt.
I think she's cuter than a pumpkin. I found two pumpkins for the project, one a nudish color and the other white. To make the topiary, I turned a planter upside down. I stacked the pumpkins and tried to give them a little support with pins, lets hope there aren't severe winds :-). I was having a hard time putting the dried flowers between the pumpkins so I decided to use grapevine. I made two circle wreaths and put it between the pumpkins. This allowed me to secure the dried flowers and clippings. I also put moss between the grapevine and pumpkins, which provided support and made it looked fuller.
I ended up using a lot of clippings from my autumn joy sedum. I really like the way it came together. The neighbors drove by and said they were going to try and make one as well, which was flattering.